Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Help

I will lift up my eyes to the hills--From whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.The Lord is your keeper; The Lord is your shade at your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day,Nor the moon by night.The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;He shall preserve your soul.The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in from this time forth, and even forevermore. Psalms 121:1-8 (NKJV)

Famous German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche believed that the most basic drive in human nature was to be in control of one's own life, and if possible, to control the essential environmental factors that impact said life. Sadly, this basic drive will not be fully satisfied in this life, because, life is impossible to control. We simply do not have the foresight or the power to do so. This makes all of us vulnerable to the circumstances and happenings of life.

That said, we are not helpless. Like a young child running to a parent for affection and protection, we run to our Heavenly Father. God is our place of refuge; our hope in the time of despair; our strength in our time of weakness; our comfort in our time of sorrow; our joy in our time of challenges... We are not helpless. With God, even that which is deemed impossible is suddenly made into a possibility.

As a child is used to feel so safe in the presence of my parents. I trusted them to protect me and to take care of my needs. When they tucked me into bed at night and prayed over me, I had an enduring sense that everything was going to be alright. I no longer live in the house of my parents, but I am still surrounded by One who is watching over me. I know the answer to the Psalmist's question: "From whence comes my help?" "Yes...yes indeed, my help comes from the Lord--the creator of heaven and earth!"

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, You are my source of strength and the One who is always on duty watching over me. Thank you for loving me--thank you for being there in my times of difficult circumstances--thank you for being my peace. Guide me by Your Spirit this day. May I serve Your Kingdom purposes by being a source of light in this dark world. When assailed by the things that catch me by surprise, may I stand with courage, knowing that You are with me." Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment