Thursday, November 29, 2012

Redeeming the Time

See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Eph 5:15-20 (NKJV)

There are some moments in life that I would like to do over--but, I have a lot more moments that I would simply like to relive. (The day I was married--the days on which my children were born--my first date with Jody--the day Gina was voted Home Coming Queen--Michael's Valedictorian speech--Performing "The Witness" at New Life...) This is the reason that we need to live in the moment, maximizing and squeezing the most out of life's experiences; because, we do not get to relive these great events. I think that we need to make a conscience effort to let the love that we have in our hearts shine through in the actions of our everyday lives. Loving our children while we can still hold them in our laps. Loving our parents while they are still alive. Loving our spouse through every phase of life.

I am not preoccupied with thoughts of my own demise; however, I consider the words that I speak every time Jody walks out the door to go to work or shopping, because, should something happen to her or to me, I want the last words we speak to be words of love and grace. Since we do not know the day or the time of our departure from this earth, we need to make the most of this very moment while we are yet living. We can redeem the time by doing the things that we should be doing. By loving the people that we need to love. By serving God in a way that is pleasing to Him. Making the most of our living years.

As a young man I played a lot of sports. I did not like losing and so I played hard and gave it all I had when I was in the game. I could even handle the losses if I had left it all out on the field. In the same way, I do not have a death wish. I enjoy life and I want to make the most of it. But, when my appointed time has arrived I don't want to view my life as a collection of regrets based on what I did not accomplish. I want to accomplish the works that God has prepared for me to do and leave this world with no regrets.

Prayer: "Dear Father, You are awesome in every aspect of Your character. I am amazed at the handiwork of Your creation. That You, who are not bound by time, redeem the time by asserting Yourself into the lives of Your creation. I would like to change, but fall short in making those changes; so, Father, would you please continue to transform me. Cause me to live with passion for Your Kingdom--love for my family and friends--and a work ethic that helps me do the things I need to do! Thank you for hearing me!" Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment