Saturday, November 3, 2012

Soldiers

You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.  No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier. 2 Tim 2:3-4 (NKJV)

If you ask around, Pastors would tell you that one of the greatest challenges for the local church is to find enough workers.  I think that it is safe to say that most armies do not have this problem, if there is a need, there are always plenty of "volunteers."  "What's that...what's that you ask?"   I am aware that soldiers volunteer, because they have no choice.  They either volunteer or they are volunteered by an authority over them.

The Church should not suffer with a lack of workers--and would not suffer for a lack of workers if "we" conducted ourselves as Christ's soldiers.  The work of the Kingdom would suddenly be an important priority, because, pleasing our Commander (Jesus) would be our first priority.   It is so easy in our busy lives to get entangled by all the life demands and offers.  To the point that we have nothing left to give to the cause.

As a pastor I am continually reminded that I am working with an all-volunteer army.  People attend or not--people support financially or not--people work or not--people get involved or not--people join or not...  No doubt, they view the Church from the perspective of a civilian and not as the soldier they are called to be.  Maybe it's time to reevaluate our view of God's Kingdom work and our obligation as soldiers of the cross.

Prayer: "Dear Father in heaven.  I owe you everything that I am and all that I hope to be.  You have given me life and a future beyond this life.  I pray that You would help me to remember all that You have done for me and create in me a soldier that You can count on. May I serve Your purposes--accomplish Your will, and do the works that You prepared for me to do.  May my life bring glory to You and be a blessing to others."  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment