Monday, November 26, 2012

A Virtuous Wife

Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies. The heart of her husband safely trusts her; So he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil All the days of her life. Prov 31:10-12 (NKJV)

Was I wise as a young man? The answer is emphatically "no!"  In spite of my apparent lack of wisdom I personally know and have experienced what it means to be married to a virtuous wife. I have now been married for 37 years and during those 37 years I have never had a moment where I felt even a slight twinge of jealousy. Why not? Because, I am married to a person of virtue. How deep does my trust run? Deeper than I trust myself.

I cannot put a price tag on my wife's virtue, because, quite simply, it is priceless. I love this particular phrase in this Proverb: "The heart of her husband safely trusts her." The conditions of the world that surround me fill my heart with misgivings and insecurity. Experience has taught me to be suspicious of flattery, to be leery of promises, and to be cautious in whom I trust. I started the journey trusting and naive, putting my trust in people. I quickly learned that I could safely trust--completely trust--two persons. (God and my wife)

How has Jody earned my trust? She always protects me. She speaks of me highly behind my back. She is a continual source of encouragement. She is extremely low maintenance. She is a problem solver and never creates problems. She is fiercely loyal. I could go on and on...ad nauseum. You get the picture. I am married to a virtuous wife and life is good! I had been married to Jody for about 5 years when my parents informed me that I needed to do everything in my power to hang on to this lovely gal, because if things did not work out--they were going to stick with Jody and throw me out of the family. Glad we never crossed that bridge!

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, please know that I am thankful for Your many gifts in this life. I have enjoyed a better life than what I deserve. Thank you for my family, my friends and my wife. For my part, I desire to be a virtuous husband. I want to live in such a way that my wife can safely trust that her heart will be safe with me. My I prove to be a husband that brings a measure of joy, love, peace and security to my wife and family." Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment