Saturday, November 10, 2012

Heritage

You are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but arenow the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy. 1 Peter 2:9-10 (NKJV)

I know a bit about my heritage. On my father's side of the family, I am a second generation Italian/American. (That means that my grandfather was born in Italy and had already immigrated to America before my father was born) I have very few family heirlooms from this side of the family; however, I do have an old-fashioned baseball glove that was passed down from my grandfather, to my father, and finally to me. When I first got the family heirloom I noticed that the name on the glove is not "Dugone." It says, "Merrick." Which means that my family heirloom is probably stolen property.

My heritage in God is more savory. In Christ I am a part of a chosen generation--a royal priesthood--a holy nation--dare I say it? "I'm special!" Talk about a contrast. From a line of lowly immigrants and now in the Kingdom of God I have become royalty. This is the heritage that every Believer in Christ enjoys. The Apostle Paul was right when he said that not many of us are mighty, or noble, or particularly wise; but, evidently in spite our humble roots God has welcomed us as His Sons and Daughters.

On the other side of my heritage is another consideration called "legacy." With all that God has given me, I must make the most out of my heritage in order to forge a Godly legacy. I have been richly blessed by God. My life is full of light and hope, because of God's mercy--but, I do not want enjoy this heritage of blessing without passing it on to my children. The heirloom that I give to my children and grandchildren needs to be more than a stolen baseball glove, it needs to be the legacy of a man who gratefully embraced the heritage offered by a God of grace.

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, the fact that You loved me enough to send Jesus to rescue me gives me a glimpse of Your goodness. You owe me nothing and yet You gave the best of what Your Kingdom had to offer to save me. Thank you for such an amazing heritage. To think that I am a child of the creator of all that is. That I was chosen and given the opportunity to walk in the light. I will be forever grateful. Blessed be Your name!" Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment