Friday, November 16, 2012

The Temple

Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. 1 Cor 3:16-17 (NKJV)

Like most children, when I was a child I was full of energy. Being a "good church going family," my parents volunteered to clean the church building; that meant that I was volunteered as well. I just finished cleaning the men's restroom downstairs and took off running up the staircase for the next assignment. I was feeling good, because, we were almost finished. My euphoria was cut short as I heard the voice of our Pastor, "Ronnie, stop running in the house of the Lord!" I stopped in my tracks--turned around, looked at our Pastor and apologized for my behavior.

Years later it dawned on me that I was not running in the house of the Lord, in actuality, the temple of the Lord was running up the staircase in one of the ugliest buildings in my hometown. Not only that--the temple of the Lord was rejoicing, serving, and at times singing, as it was cleaning the men's restroom! Did you know that the church is not a building where we gather--the church is you, if you are a Believer in Christ. It might not be proper to run in a public building, if there are a bunch of people that you are disturbing; however, I'm convinced that God was not displeased with my exuberant run up the stairs those many years ago.

What troubles the Lord has nothing to do with the building that I call my church home, rather, it is my behavior. Do I glorify God with my actions, or do I act in such a way as to discredit His name? I know what the Temple should look like. A place of love, goodness, kindness, patience, mercy, humility... Is that what I look like to others? It is worth my consideration and effort, because, I am the Temple of the Lord.

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, you are perfect in every way, a picture of what I need to be. I am so grateful that You are patient with me, allowing this imperfect Temple to be a part of Your Kingdom. Lord, help me to continue to grow and transform into what You ultimately want me to be. I desire to be a living witness and to bring glory to Your name." Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment