Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Agape

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift ofprophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. 1 Cor 13:1-8 (NKJV)

Let's face it--love is impressive! Just the idea that "love never fails," is almost beyond what humankind is able to achieve. It is the depth and width and length of God's love, called Agape, which is so tenaciously unfailing and so divine. Many theologians have suggested that apart from God, Agape is simply beyond our reach as humans. Our love tends to be fickle, or conditional, or self-serving--falling short of the unfailing measure of God's love.

Even if I claim to have achieved some measure of God's Agape in my life--it seems that my love doesn't quite measure up in that my love is focused on the few. Let me explain: I love my wife, my children, my grandchildren, my parents, and a few close friends. I would lay my life down for them without blinking. However, that is where my love hits the wall. It could be argued that I love the people that love me. When considering God's love, He loved us before we loved Him. In watching God's love in operation through the life of Jesus, we observe God loving His enemies, loving those lost in darkness, loving the unlovely, loving the very people that would betray, deny and desert Him. All I can say is that my love pales by comparison.

Paul makes it clear; love is fundamentally more important (and perhaps more indicative that God is living in us) than sacrifice, than miraculous power, than eloquent words, than good deeds, or a number of religious tasks that we feel to be important. Without the central foundation of God's love serving as the anchor and motivating force, the church is a fairly cold and rigid institution. With God's love flowing in all of its power and beauty, the church becomes a force that cannot be contained; and it brings life and hope to all who are touched. God's love makes the difference, because God's love never fails!

Prayer: "Dear Father, thank you for Your love. You reached out and touched me with love when I was a young child, and I have felt the warmth of Your love with me through this journey called life. Even in the times of failure, which are too many to recall, You have revealed Your love with patience, grace and mercy. I am grateful...so very grateful. Blessed be the name of the Lord! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment