Thursday, January 31, 2013

Truth

Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart, And so find favor and high esteem In the sight of God and man. Prov 3:3-4 (NKJV)

When it comes to politicians, I am interested in receiving one thing--count it--one thing in return for my support. I want the truth. As you have probably already surmised, I am a bit put out by politicians, because they generally say what people want to hear, or things that will give them the greatest chance to be reelected with little regard to the facts or truth. For the record, I hope that truth is not as subjective as politicians seem to make it, for I believe that it takes a clear understanding of the facts in order to solve real problems.

I was having a "discussion" with my then 4 year old grandson, Ayden. "Ayden, I see that you are all bundled up in your blanket this morning." "Grandpa, I am not bundled up, I am covered up by my blanket." "Ayden, it's the same thing." "No it is not!" "You just need to trust me Ayden, in this instance 'bundled up and covered up' mean essentially the same thing." "Grandpa, that is not true." "Ayden, I know more than you do--I am older than you--so, you'll just have to trust me." "Grandpa, that is not the truth--you are not older than me!" (I think that Ayden might have a future in politics)

With the emergence of situational ethics and an ever-evolving set of cultural values it makes it seem as if truth is something that is subjective, as if truth is determined by the latest poll of people's opinions. Followers of Christ should reject the notion that there is no such thing as absolute truth. In the words of the Psalmist, "The entirety of Your word is truth." (Psalms 119:160) Jesus stated, "Whoever hears my words and puts them into practice is like the wise man who built his house on the rock..." Let me encourage you to stand in the truth that you have received from God's Word and that you apply those truths to the living of life. There is no doubt that you will be blessed by both God and man.

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for telling us the truth concerning our need to have a Savior. As a species, it seems as if mankind is in dire need to be healed from foolish and destructive behavior. We seem to make a mess of everything and then point the finger of blame on something or someone else. I acknowledge that I need you. I need you to be my righteousness and the conscience that guides me through this life. Thank you for Your Word...thank you for the truth that sets me free! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment