Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Temptation

Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.  Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone.  But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.  Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. James 1:12-15 (NKJV)

Temptation is tricky territory for everyone...with no exceptions. We read that before Jesus embarked on His public ministry, that He went into the wilderness to fast and pray, and that at the end of 40 days Satan came to tempt Him. Jesus passed this time of testing with flying colors proving His divinity once again, but for most of us, temptation is a bit more complicated.

I was on the wrestling team as a freshman in high school. One of the first ideas that the coaching staff impressed on us was this: If your opponent has the beginning of a pinning combination on you, your first attempt at an escape will probably be your easiest and most effective attempt. In other words--escape before you are trapped. The same is true with temptation. Your best hope at escape is to never give in to temptation and let it drag you into sin. Keep this Bible based advice in mind.  "Resist the Devil and he will flee from you.  Flee from temptation and immediately go to Jesus in prayer."

The Apostle Paul made the following promise to Believers: "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." 1 Cor 10:13 (NKJV) I have heard people take this promise to task--saying that it is not true in their case. Here is their mistake: They are not generally talking about temptation--they are talking about addiction. They are fighting to break the chains of habitual sin that already has a hold on them. What they really need in this case is deliverance. (Which is another work that God can accomplish!) Please hear me: Paul's promise is true. Stand against temptation and God will be with you and make a way of escape. Do not give in to temptation and give a place for the chains of sin to be established in your life.

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, I pray that You would deliver me from evil. Let me stand against temptation and may I see the chains of established sin be broken. I know that Your Word states that 'who the Son sets free is free indeed.' Cause me to experience and walk in freedom from sin. I know that You are more than able to do this work in me, You are truly my Rock, my Fortress and my Deliverer! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment