Monday, January 7, 2013

Patience

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. James 1:2-4 (NKJV)

I don't think that I'm alone in the fact that I have a hard time receiving trials with joy. My reaction is generally a bit more carnal, say like anger, frustration and a dash of self-pity. Time has a way of putting things into perspective, and I have to admit that although I have often failed at being joyful while experiencing a trial, I have experienced this truth: "The testing of my faith has produced patience."

Patience is a Fruit of the Spirit and a Christian virtue that I'm not inclined to pray for. Use reverse logic and you will figure out the reason. If I pray for patience I might as well pray that I'll suffer through various trials, because those trials produce patience. I will settle for the trials that come my way without praying for more, thank you.

The end result of patience--if we let patience do the work in our lives that it needs to do--is a maturity that James calls "perfect and complete, lacking nothing." Now, that does sound intriguing and a lot like Jesus. Since being like Jesus is my ultimate goal, maybe, just maybe I need to embrace the experience of the next trial and let God use it to change me into a more Christ-like person. "OK, no promises...but, the next trial that rolls my way, I'm going to try the joy thing!"

Prayer: "Dear Father, I know that You are near in my times of testing. You have always been a comfort and a strength to me in those times. I know from experience that even in the Valley of the Shadow of Death, You will be with me. I do pray that Your Kingdom would come and that Your will would be done in my life as it is in Your heavenly Kingdom. Thank you for using the circumstances of life to drive me closer to You and to shape my character. Blessed be the name of the Lord! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment