Thursday, January 10, 2013

Christ Alone

Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe'shousehold, that there are contentions among you. Now I say this, that each of you says, "I am of Paul," or "I am of Apollos," or "I am of Cephas," or "I am of Christ." Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 1 Cor 1:10-13 (NKJV)

Through 35 years of ministry I have been asked two questions that annoy me. It is bad enough that I find myself annoyed, but I have developed patience, because I have been asked these same two question over and over again...more than I can count. Question number 1: "How big is the church where you are ministering?" This question is like asking a student about their grades or a movie star how their last movie did at the box office...it is a question about validity and how important or influential you are as a minister. (OK--it's not that bad of a question, but it is the most asked question that ministers ask each other. It helps us figure out the proper pecking order) The second question: "Are you a Calvinist?"

Although I am not an enemy of Reform Theology, I would not call myself a Calvinist. Not because I am overly critical of John Calvin's theology, but, because it sounds too much like the problem that the Apostle Paul was addressing. The Apostle Paul warned us not to wear labels or to closely associate ourselves with a particular individual as if they are our Savior or define our religious identity. Declaring that you are a follower of John Calvin or Jacobus Arminius is doing exactly what Paul told us not to do. (There is no logical way around Paul's concern)

I know the counter arguments: That Calvinism is simply a label for a particular systematic theology. That it is, perhaps, the only correct way to interpret scripture. It is a flawless system of logic. That every Evangelical must identify with either Calvin or Arminius' approach to scripture...etc. Say and defend all you want--it still sounds like, "I am of Paul," I am of Apollos," "I am of Cephas," "I am of Calvin," "I am of Arminius..." Just saying...

Here are a couple of "updated" rhetorical questions that the Apostle Paul asked: "Is Christ divided? Was Calvin crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Arminius?" Just in case you are debating as to the answer, let me slam the door for you--the answer to these rhetorical questions is a resounding "NO." It is high time that Bible Believing Christians lay aside labels and embrace the unity that Jesus prayed that we would attain. Above all else, we must find our identity in Christ alone.

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, I am reminded of Christ's prayer for His followers: 'Father, make them one even as You and I are one.' Lord, that is still my prayer, make us one and cause us to crucify our intellectual pride long enough to lay aside the theological bias that keeps us divided. I know that Your ultimate plan is one glorious church, one spotless bride, one church without spot or wrinkle, one body that is more concerned with walking in obedience than proving a theological concept. May the church return to her first love and be who You have called her to be. Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment