Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Works

What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe--and tremble! But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? James 2:14-20 (NKJV)

According to a recent poll (2012) 73% of all those living in the United States claim to be Christians. I do not doubt that 73% of the nation makes such a claim, but I have serious doubts about the validity of their faith. In my thinking, the United States would be a very different country if 73% of the population truly followed the teachings of Christ. The songs that are popular, the television shows and movies would all reflect a nation of Christian faith and virtues. That is simply not the case! There is a fundamental difference between calling yourself a Christian and actually living as a Believer in Jesus Christ.

James is not alone in his cry that faith should be accompanied by the complimentary works. Jesus essentially said the same thing: "You are My friends if you do whatever I command you." John 15:14 (NKJV) Authentic Christianity is more than giving mental assent to an idea--it is only authentic when it is lived out in and through our lives. This is why "faith without works is dead."

Some religious groups believe that human works are a part of earning one's salvation. Not only is that not true, but it is missing the point. We are not saved by our works--less anyone should boast; however, after we are saved our faith becomes evident by the fruit that is generated in our lives. Consider the following verse: For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.  Eph 2:10 (NKJV) Wow--Jesus, Paul and James all believed that faith would be revealed in the actions (works) of our lives.

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, I am excited about the good works that You have already prepared for me to do! Serving Your purposes gives my life meaning. The thought that You have given me a place to serve in Your Kingdom and to represent You to others is very humbling. I pray that You would be glorified in my life, by the choices that I make, by the works that I perform, by the words that I say, and by the witness of how I live. Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment