Friday, January 4, 2013

Power of Good

Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him;If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:17-21 (NKJV)

Let's face it, one of the characteristics of human behavior is to fight fire with fire. It is the Old Testament approach for our personal sense of justice, which is, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." This idea is even applied to global politics and the balance of power. If competing countries both have the ability to destroy each other, the threat of mutual destruction forces them into an uncomfortable peace. ("I know--only in a world under the curse of sin")

In our personal lives, God is calling us away from the threat of mutual destruction or vengeance. Instead of fighting fire with fire, we are called to "fight" with a completely benign tactic called "good." This must be what the Apostle Paul was referring to when he stated: "For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds." 2 Cor 10:4 (NKJV) Rather than knocking out the tooth of our adversary, we are called to turn the other check... But, we are even called to take it a step further. The next step is the pro-activity of doing good.

Fighting fire with fire only leads to more destruction; however, doing good has all kinds of possibilities and can be expressed in a plethora of ways. How creative can you be in doing good to other people and what will be the result? This Godly weapon is an unexpected response and wields the power to heal and restore broken relationships. It is just one of the weapons in our spiritual arsenal that helps us overcome evil.

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, I desire to be an instrument of reconciliation and not vengeance. But, sometimes I feel that my rights have been trampled on and I do not want to turn the other cheek. So, Lord--may Your Kingdom come and Your will be done in my life as it is in heaven, and may I be Your instrument and overcome evil with good for the sake of the call. In all matters of life my I consider how You would have me respond and ignore what my flesh is calling me to do. May You be glorified in my life! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment