Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Drifting

Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins. James 5:19-20 (NKJV)

This happens to be one of those scriptures that gets avoided, in terms of sermons and lessons, because it has the audacity to land in the middle of the argument between Calvinists and Arminians. I personally get tired of the philosophical arguments that cause us to twist certain scriptures to reflect our particular dogma or to avoid teaching them completely. That said, these two verses are trying to get a point across that "we" the church need to put into practice.

I saw it happening before my eyes. One of the most committed and spiritually gifted brothers that I have ever known seemed to be drifting away from God. The spiritual fervor that once was abundantly evident was no longer there. I had walked with this brother for years--we had long theological discussions--we prayed with each other--we shared life--we experienced fellowship. Now, it seemed as if I was having a conversation with a complete stranger and the faith that we once shared was no longer a tie between us. No doubt about it, I was dealing with a brother who wandered from the truth. (I am still trying to "turn" this brother around)

Putting all philosophical and theological issues aside--I was and remain facing a situation just like what James described in chapter 5, verses 19 and 20. There comes a time, when something is happening in real life and in real time, and a Believer must take action. It doesn't matter if the person in question was "once saved--always saved," or maybe "never saved." James tells us that if someone from "among you wanders from the truth," that "we" need to take action. By reaching out in love James tells us that we can turn the person in question from the error of their way and save them. It is worth the effort! Please remember: "Obedience to the Word is far more important than theological debate!"

Prayer: "Dear Father in heaven, my dear friend is a sheep that wandered away, please give me the insight, the words to speak and the example that I need to be to turn him from the path that he is on. Please return him to a place at Your table. Please return him to a place of rich fellowship with his brothers and sisters in Christ. I know that You are knocking at the door of his heart. I am looking forward to the day when he opens that door and invites You in. Thank You for hearing the cry of my heart. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment