Friday, January 11, 2013

Undeserved

For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God--and righteousness and sanctification and redemption-- 31 that, as it is written, "He who glories, let him glory in the Lord." 1 Cor 1:26-31 (NKJV)

Undeserved is an adjective meaning "not warranted, merited, or earned." This describes the human race in relationship to God and what makes God's grace (His unmerited favor) all the more extraordinary. He does not love us because we are noble, or wise, or strong, or intellectual, or talented, or the head of the class. Too often we are filled with self-importance ("goodness, I act that way all too often!") and act as if we are essential in the realm of all things happening in the universe. But, the universe does not revolve around us, nor will anyone remember who we are in a hundred years or so.

As a Believer in Christ, the label that defines me the most accurately would have to be "undeserved." I simply have nothing that demands God's notice, and I certainly have not acted in ways that deserves His grace...and yet...God takes the base things (the lowlifes of this world) and uses them for His purposes. His first purpose being that of bringing the gifts of righteousness, sanctification and redemption into our lives and turning riffraff into sons and daughters.

Even after experiencing salvation and the over-whelming, ever-patient working of God's grace, I'm not all the special or deserving. How many times have I failed only to fail some more? In terms of forgiveness, I am quite sure that if God is keeping track that I have probably exceeded Christ's 7 times 70! If there are to be any victories, or accomplishments, or works that amount to anything in my life... I think we all know who should receive the accolades, the credit and all the glory! The Apostle Paul is correct: "He who glories, let him glory in the Lord!"

Prayer: "Dear Father in Heaven, Your name is great and greatly to be praised. Your love is deeper than the oceans and Your mercy has no end. I am certainly undeserving of Your consideration and yet You rescued me from sin, pulled me from the clutches of the Enemy, washed me whiter than snow, and gave my life purpose and meaning. To You and You alone belongs all the glory, honor and power! Thank you for being my Father. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment