Monday, January 14, 2013

No Greater Love

This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends. John 15:12-13 (NKJV)

Most people do not remember Joe Delaney. Back in 1981 Joe was the AFC's Rookie of the Year as a running back for the Kansas City Chiefs. In that rookie season he ran for 1,121 yards and was selected to the Pro Bowl team. What a start to a bright career that would never come to pass. After his second season, he was back home in Louisiana and went to a local amusement park with friends. It had been raining heavily and there was a hole on a construction site that had filled with water. Kids being kids, three kids couldn't resist the call of the water hole. They waded into the water, but then stepped into a hole that was dangerously deep. They were downing and desperately called for help. Joe Delaney heard them and came running to the rescue. Without a second thought Joe dove into the water with all of his clothes on. He pushed one child to safety, before he drowned in the murky water. You see, Joe Delaney didn't know how to swim, but he didn't let the danger slow him down. President Ronald Reagan honored Delaney with the Presidential Citizens Medal.

The Bible has a number of examples of people that either paid the ultimate price or were willing to put themselves at risk for the sake of others. In the Old Testament, Moses put his life on the line for the Children of Israel. Israel had sinned and God was getting ready to judge them when Moses suggested that if God was to destroy them that he wanted his name blotted out of history as well. God's heart was moved by Moses' actions and spared Israel. In the New Testament we have the example of Jesus. Who, being God in the flesh, freely gave His life to save us.

Now here's the kicker; Jesus commanded us to, "Love one another as I have loved you." Now that is a very easy commandment to understand, but an exceedingly difficult command to obey. The logical conclusion is that Jesus is calling us to have a willingness to pay the ultimate price in serving and loving others. It starts with putting other people's needs before our own...but in a dangerous world, sometimes it calls for Believers to lay down their life for a friend. Here is what it means to me in everyday life: It means that I return good for evil. That I avoid accusation and gossip and speak only things that edify and heal. It means that I give sacrificially, go the second mile and turn the other cheek. That I consider the needs of others as more important than my own. These are but small steps in preparing me...just in case the ultimate love is required.

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, even today I am reminded of how far short of Your glory that I fall. It is so easy to serve my needs and aspirations without the proper consideration of others. Open my eyes that I might see people with more love, and cause me to act in the best interest of others. Make me more like You and let me experience the Agape that would compel me to greater works of love and unselfishness. Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment