Thursday, January 17, 2013

Choices

How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word. With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You! Blessed are You, O Lord! Teach me Your statutes! With my lips I have declared All the judgments of Your mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches. I will meditate on Your precepts, And contemplate Your ways. I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word. Psalms 119:9-16 (NKJV)

Everyone makes choices. Some are wise choices and others range from a bit foolish to harmfully foolish. Our choices ultimately shape our lives and determine our future. It is all a part of the sowing and reaping of life and it is inescapable. Life itself is a collection of decisions and actions and it is happening in real time 24/7.  Our choices not only effect us, but for better or worse, they also effect the people around us. Our choices can have a profound effect on the future of the people we love, starting with our children. With this understanding the Psalmist made a choice--a choice that would determine the condition of his heart.

"With my whole heart I have sought You!" "Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You!" The Psalmist understood that the most important factor in making the right decisions in life is a matter of the heart. If the heart is right with God; if the heart is full of God's truths; if the heart delights in God's truths...it ultimately leads to a life of wise decisions.    Martin Luther stated it well in a few brief words: "Love God...and do whatever you want!"

When God is at the center of my affections, I live for His purposes and I am no longer intrigued and beckoned by worldly values.  (Frankly, I start finding pop culture to be boring, because my aspirations are established by the higher culture of God's Kingdom)   If my heart is full of God's Word, I'll make wiser decisions. If my treasure is located in the middle of God's Kingdom, that is where I will spend my effort. If God is my first love, that is where my passion will be centered. And what happens when it comes to making decisions, the really important choices in life? I can relax knowing that "The steps of a good man man are ordered of God."

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, You are wise beyond whatever mankind can ever aspire to obtain. Our wisdom is as foolishness compared to Your wisdom. So, help me to humble myself and accept Your truths, Your Word, Your wisdom, Your ways--and adopt them as my own. I place my destiny in Your hands, knowing that You love me more than I love myself. Lead me and guide me less I be lost. Take my life and use me for Your purposes! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment